Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Oscars and the Op-Eds

This is very late, but I've had a busy, busy couple of weeks!

I don't usually watch the Oscars, except for the first five minutes or so, but last night's show really sucked me in with its old fashioned glamour. And, of course, there was Sean Penn's acceptance speech. I hadn't actually intended on staying up that late, but ended up doing work while watching the show, so I was awake for Best Actor.

Well, I figured, it is Sean Penn. This isn't exactly out of the blue, for him. All the same, it was quite attention-grabbing to hear the word "shame" resounding around the glitzy, star-packed theatre.

From Thinking The Wright Way:

I am not ashamed for defending traditional marriage. I am not ashamed of my opinion that sexual preference does not define a person, OR deserve special rights. It is not on the same playing field as race or color. And same-sex couples ARE different from heterosexual couples, so it makes sense that their union should be called something different. And they still have all the same rights that married heterosexual couples have. It all comes down to the definition of one little word.


Laura's entries are always enlightening. I'm drawn to her no-bones-about-it writing in this passage, and her adherence to the definitions of "marriage" and "traditional marriage."

Living in a Mid-Atlantic state I can't help but come across the bolder headlines from the NY Times, and Laura's entry here put me in mind of an Op-Ed from this weekend written by a supporter of traditional marriage and an advocate for same-sex marriage. It's here, if you want to take a look.

It's so rare to see a partnership between a traditional marriage advocate and a same-sex marriage advocate that my attention was caught and kept.

I know in many European countries they have same-sex unions set up in such a way that they're not called "marriage." What do you all think of that way of doing things?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps they should get common law benefits but never ever to be married in a church.

    ReplyDelete

As you type, remember: respect is the foundation of a just world.